Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 1 - Eating Out

We were too chicken (no pun intended) / way unprepared to cook for the first day so we ended up eating out. I had lunch with some friends at Hoffman's in Santa Cruz. This was my first time looking at the menu as a vegetarian and WOW was it a different experience! I've never realized how much meat is a part of our regular cuisine or how limited menus truly are for vegetarians (and Hoffman's actually has vegetarian options, imagine all the places that don't).


Aside from my revaluation, it worked out great. I ended up getting their Vegetarian Sandwich which was delicious and so simple. It was hummus, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, and pepper jack cheese. Totally replicable.


For dinner my husband and I went to Cafe Gratitude, also in downtown Santa Cruz. This place was recommended as one of the best vegetarian/vegan joints in town and with my one day limited experience, I'd have to agree. Everything you order has an intention behind it so it has a great spiritual message, but they also combine healthy food and flavors together in a creative and tasty way. My husband had the I am fortified which consists of sauteed veggies, brown rice, and Thai-almond sauce. I had I am accepting (very fitting for this new diet I might add) and is made up of kale, seaweed bits or nori, avocado, cucumber, brown rice and sesame-ginger sauce. It tasted like a warm bowl of sushi. He liked his dish and I liked mine so it was a win-win. However, to be honest although our stomachs felt full of food, we still didn't feel quite satisfied. I think it was just getting used to not having that hearty, filling meat substanance we're so used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment