Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 3 - Green Apple Porridge & Pesto Risotto with Zucchini

Green Apple Porridge

This morning I woke up feeling very inspired to make healthy food for us. I somehow held off on the coffee and began making one of my favorite breakfast dishes, Green Apple Porridge. The recipe is from AdinaNiemerow's book SuperCleanse: Detox your body for long-lasting healthy and beauty” however, I originally saw this when she demonstrated making it on Yahoo Screen's Reluctantly Healthy (which is why I feel comfortable posting the recipe online).

For the Green Apple Porridge recipe, clickhere

What I love about this dish:
  • The combination of flavors is unique and delicious
  • I feel really healthy when I eat it because everything is raw
  • It's not only perfect for breakfast but also makes a healthy snack or dessert when I want something sweet
  • Great source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acid
  • Good for digestion
  • Great source of vitamin C and malic acid which help cleanse the gallbladder
I love it so much that I have made it every week for the past 3 weeks. The one downside -- I do not feel super full off this dish but it is a great way to start the day with something fresh and healthy.

I give it 5 Moos for all the reasons above!








JM gives it 1 Moo simply because his palate isn't used to the flavors so it tasted too weird. To each their own!









PestoRisotto with Zucchini

For dinner I made another recipe I found on PostPunk Kitchen. However, due to time constraints and just general lazy cheffness, I altered this recipe a lot. Click hereto see myversion of Pesto Risotto with Zucchini. With these changes, I was able to make it in half the time but keep the basic concept.

I was worried about the lack of protein in this dish and overall lack of protein intake JM and I had been getting so I also made my regular salad and added a can of garbanzo beans.


Overall I give it 3 Moos because it tastes good and is filling, but I didn't like how much it relied on carby rice, albeit complex carb brown rice. 









JM gave it 4 1/2 Moos because it tasted good and made him full. We can see where JM's priorities lie... 








No comments:

Post a Comment